Saturday, September 10, 2011

My Brief Monastic Life

THE ASCENT
Inspired by Phileena’s book, me – a mountain climber in m own right and a pilgrim by heart, wished Dom Elias just told me to walk towards the monastery from the front gate instead of instructing me to take the multi cab. After meeting a family before I headed to the road towards the monastery, I took a habal-habal instead which is way cheaper and which suited the adventurous me. the driver can’t speak fluent Filipino so we both picked up whatever word we could distinguish from each other. And just as my instincts have prodded me, he dropped me off at the old monastery which was nowhere near the new monastery and guest house where I was to go. Following signs and instructions from the people at the gift shop by the gate, I took on the road towards the new monastery and I smiled as I saw from afar it’s roof that pointed towards the heavens. It was beautiful even from afar. But as I walked on, I realized the road was longer that I appeared to be and I began to wonder if I was still on the right way. Nevertheless I walked on smiling and sighing… so I got what I wanted – a long walk up from the gate, after all. It was a rough-3km hike!

The walk was breath taking. I saw golden rice fields, pine trees (my favorite) and other crops and plants as if welcoming me before I enter what would be my sanctuary. Tired, perspiring but excited upon reaching the top… there it was in front of me. A sight any architect would drool over, a sanctuary that would stop any pilgrim’s breath. There’s something about this place and the atmosphere that told me… “we’ve been waiting for you”… & I whispered… “Shalom to me”… then I decided… it is time to rest.


No comments: